Wood Shakes and Shingles
Wooden shakes and shingles are roofing materials made from cypress, pine, Western red cedar and redwood. By splitting logs and reshaping them, these wooden shingles are made and distributed for commercial use. Commonly used in homes, wooden shakes are an attractive option for homeowners looking for a natural look for their homes. While wooden shakes are thicker at their end than shingles, they are generally split so they can attain a textured surface which adds to the design and look of wooden shingles and shakes. The wood that is used in shingles and shakes can be left organic, preserved for a time or even be fire-handled so that it can be more resilient against fire. It’s a popular choice for both residential and commercial establishments, especially in the United States.
The Advantages of Wooden Shakes and Shingles
Wood shakes and shingles are a popular choice for roofing materials for a lot of people, both residential and commercial purposes. What are the benefits of using wooden shakes and shingles?
● They are incredibly long-lasting which can last up to several years
● Wooden shingles can withstand even the most serious climate conditions
● Compared to other types of roofing materials, wood is of lesser expense
● Highly available in the market
● No need to worry about rusting problems, especially during the rainy seasons
● Provides excellent insulation for your attic
● Gives your house a natural and artistic look
● Shingles and shakes come in different colors
● Allows excellent ventilation throughout the house by letting air circulate and breathe through the small openings where the shingles are rested on
● Lighter compared to other types of materials in the market
● Easy to install unlike other roofing systems available
● They’re easy to repair since they only need simple procedures and tools in case damage is dealt to wooden shingles and shakes
● Wooden shingles and shakes are incredibly durable even against the extreme heat or cold
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO IMPROVE YOUR HOME?
The Disadvantages of Wooden Shakes and Shingles
While there are a lot of advantages that wooden shakes and shingles have in their use as a material for roofing systems, they are not perfect. They still have their flaws. What are the disadvantages in using wooden shakes and shingles?
● If not maintained properly, molds and mildew can proliferate
● Degradation can happen due to excessive exposure to moisture
● Highly susceptible to fire if no additional protection is applied